Monday, November 23, 2009

Comfort

I work with kids who need spine surgery. These kids are filleted open, vertebrae are de-rotated, and rods are attached with screws to the sides of their spine. This is no tonsillectomy or appendectomy; this is HUGE surgery.

Almost everyday I counsel a parent about the surgical process. Explaining that we are the best at what we do and their child is going to be fine. I empathize with the families, and take their concerns to heart. At the end of the day its their child that will be cut open, not mine.

Today was Grace’s first day of school at Mason Middle. Mason was just voted one of the top schools in the state of Ohio. They are extremely organized and friendly, but they are also huge.

Middle school is not the best of times for most kids. They are awkward, zitty, and pubescent. Switching schools in the middle of the year during 8th grade is not easy. Grace has been nothing but positive and strong. However, I have been a mess.

I drove her to school at 0700 and in the darkness we walked into the guidance office. We meet with her guidance counselor and another 8th grader who was going to be her “ambassador.” She said goodbye and off she went into the sea of Aeropostale and American Eagle clad teens.

Not a moment after she left I started crying. Tears streaming down my face the counselor hugged me and said she would be fine. “We have new kids everyday, we are good at this, she explained. Touched by her kindness I made it to my car where I called Bryan and cried some more.

I found myself in Target, roaming up and down the Christmas aisle. Target can be so soothing in the morning. I bought green extension cords and hooks to hang wreaths. Everything was inviting, there were no screaming babies, just a handful of Mom’s getting their Target fix.

Anxiously I waited for Grace to get home and tell me all the details. Her first comment was “I am wearing sweatpants tomorrow.” She was fine.

I am reminded of how deeply we all love our children. My heart hurts just like the mothers’ of my patients. When its your kid, its a big deal regardless of what others think. Next time I am working with a family, I will remember today and how the guidance counselor took the time to comfort me. Everyone needs some comfort.

No comments: