Sunday, October 18, 2009

Marathon Moms


This blog is dedicated to the Marathon Mom’s of Mason. Sometime in June, I can’t quite remember when, a group of women in my neighborhood got together and decided that we would run the Columbus 1/2 Marathon in October. Its easy to commit to something when its 4 months away. So let me tell you about the Marathon Moms.

Jackie 1: She is the “godfather” of Mason, but in a non murdering way. Jackie can take care of anything, she knows everyone, and will do anything you need immediately. She is a flying pig marathoner and the initiator of the Marathon Moms.

Caroline: Caroline is the sweet, doting, motherly type. She is an incredible host, cooks fabulous meals and has an encouraging spirit. She was also a key initiator in the Marathon Moms

Heidi: An Indiana native who has lived in Georgia, Wisconsin and now Ohio. She has never been a runner, but wanted to do her first race. Heidi is hilarious and always there if you need to complain about something or someone. She is a great friend. They grow them good out there in Hoosier Land.

Jackie 2: A beautiful busy mom who has run some, but like most moms is too busy. She works outside the home and in and sports the best pony tails around. Her hair is incredible. I love how laid back she can be in the midst of chaos.

Cara: A new friend of mine. She is very cute and tiny. I envy her body, I looked like her about 3 years ago. She has curly q hair and is very preppy. Honestly she needs to move to Lexington, she would love it and completely fit in. Her and Carolyn are sister in laws.

Sarah: Another new friend. Sarah showed up to run one day with Heidi and I when no one else did. She is dependable and kind. This was her first running experience and she had a great positive attitude.

Amy: New friend # 3. Sorry girls, but Amy gets the all over best body award. Amy is long and lean, she works out with weights and it shows. We are still getting to know each-other and what I know so far is that she is awesome.

Terri: Terri lives across the street from me. Her husband runs marathon and now it was her turn. Unfortunately her kids got sick and she could not make it. We missed you Terri.

Melissa: I was under the impression that Melissa was running with us. Turns out she was there for much needed moral support. Melissa is a semi new friend of mine. I knew her, but not closely. We hung out on my birthday and now I know her well. She is a lot of fun.

Jerri: Jerri and Jackie are best buds. Jerri moved to Indy 2 years ago, but the two are still tight. They get together whenever possible and Jerri signed up to join her old neighbors and become a Marathon Mom.

Now that you know the players, this is the story.

We started training in June. We had high hopes of running all the long runs together on Saturday mornings. I do not think we ever ran one all together. Jackie 1 hurt her foot, ended up with a stress fracture and had to drop out and be a supporter. Jerri joined Jackie and the two women along with Melissa were to be our cheerleaders.

Heidi and I ran together as much as possible. Heidi had her third baby last year and was not much of a runner. By week 3 I would tell her to slow down because she was out running me. Honestly, I think she is a closet runner who didn’t out herself.

Carolyn, Cara and Amy ran a lot together and stuck to a strict plan of running beans every 2 miles and walk while you eat the beans. Sarah and Terri would walk together and jog some, while Jackie 2 would run on her treadmill at 10:00 p.m. at night.

We all had our routine and it worked differently for all of us. Carolyn being the organizer booked 3 rooms for us at the Columbus Hyatt where the race began and ended. I was horrified at the idea of having to sleep in a double bed with someone other than my husband. I was definitely the odd man out there. The other women were fine with the arrangements. I get a bit high strung.

We left Saturday and spent the day shopping at Easton Center. Oh my, if you have never been to Easton in Columbus then you must go. We picked up our running packets settled into the hotel and ate a lovely carb loaded dinner.

Heidi came down with a migraine at dinner. I took her home before the others so she could rest. After a good gaging with her finger, she vomited and felt a little better. When the other girls arrived we put on our PJ’s, snuggled up in bed, and watch a chick flick on the tube. I had a great time.

Today was race day and it was freezing, but beautiful. The girls ran a steady pace and finished strong. Along the way we would see our faithful cheerleaders spurring us on. Running is a crazy thing, it totally taxes your body, but it leaves you feeling incredible.

Sitting here at my computer, after a shower and a glass of wine, I’m thinking of my friends and how proud I am of everyone. We are moms, we are women, we are marathoners. Love you all.

P.S. The photo is of the Kenyan athletes that took first, second and third. Notice that the sun is not yet up. Yeah, they can run.

No comments: