Thursday, July 30, 2009

High School Reunion


Last Friday evening I attended my 20th high school reunion. My dear friend Jon was our senior class president and he recruited me to help plan the event. I started out with huge expectations. I investigated hiring a band and arranging a fabulous dinner at a local country club. Jon, being the voice of reason quickly brought me back to reality and we did it nice and casual at the Brazenhead Pub in Mason.

A year ago I would of never entertained the thought of attending my reunion, let alone helping plan it. Thankfully I am in a different place now and my insecurities seem ridiculous. About 20 or so from our class attended along with about 10 from other classes. We had a great time. I didn't speak to my poor hubby all night. Several of the spouses befriended each other to make the time pass.

The highlight for me,was how everyone came back together and it was like nothing had really changed. I learned that we've all had had major screw ups, beautiful children, hearts full of love and hearts that have been broken. We have 2 men who became Pastors, 2 high school sweet hearts that got married and stayed married, one is a Father to 7, another has adopted 2 and had 2 more. The women of the group look pretty darn hot for being almost 40 and bearing children along the way.

Some of us have moved away, but most have stayed close to home. It was so good for me to see everyone. I realized that time definitely takes it toll on people in different ways, but for that evening we were 18 again and it felt good.

No comments: