Saturday, May 9, 2009

Happy Mom Day


When I lived in Lexington my friends Michelle and Claire would host a Mother's Day lunch. Claire had a beautiful patio filled with tulips and various other flowers. They would invite their close friends over and we would celebrate being moms.

I decided to carry on their tradition here in Mason and hosted my first mom's day luncheon on Thursday. I had a question under each of their plates related to mom's for each to answer. A few of them quickly realized that I had not given myself a question. So Carolyn (I spelled it correctly) came up with a question for me.

"Tell us about a time when you were happy just being a mom"?

It hit me that I have never really celebrated being a mom. I love having children and raising them but celebrating it was something I had not experienced.

As a single mother for 5 years. Motherhood was a constant struggle. Most of my friends were graduating from college, getting jobs, apartments, cars, and engagement rings. I was breastfeeding, changing diapers, living in my parents basement trying to keep my child from crying so my family could sleep.

I later upgraded to working 12 hour shifts at Christ Hospital, going to nursing school, and getting deeper and deeper in debt.

I never had a chance to be just a mom, at least not as I envisioned it. I became a fighter and planned on surviving alone with my Grace.

Then, the impossible happened when Grace was 4. Bryan fell in love with the poor,bitter, frigid, single mom. He loves me unconditionally and my life has never been the same.

So.... to answer the question. I was happy just being a mom the day I saw my precious Grace. It was all worth it. I am blessed with the best husband, and 2 fantastic kids. So today and from everyday going forward, I plan to celebrate my mommyness! Motherhood is NOT what I envisioned.... it's better!

Happy Mothers Day to all!!!!!

No comments: