Monday, October 5, 2009

The Adult Prom


Bryan and I decided to send Clay, (our youngest) to Mason Schools for first grade after attending private Kindergarten. My next door neighbor is very involved with the school system and I knew she would hold my hand through the transition. She is a board member on the Mason School Foundation (MSF) which provides money for school programs that are not funded. Every year the MSF has a gala which serves as a fund raiser and awareness about how the foundation contributes.

I asked my neighbor if I could help with the planning, (because I never know when to slow down) thinking this would be a great way for me to get know some other moms. My first meeting was impressive. There were about 25 women who seemed to have their stuff together. I gravitated toward a person who was going to head up the RSVP’s and tables. This would be a perfect fit for me. We hit it off and she delegated the assigning of tables to the RSVPs.

As the replies began to roll in I would receive a daily email with who replied and their seating preference. The process became increasingly complicated because I knew none of the people and all their seating preferences were similar. It became a puzzle to solve and solve it I did along with my neighbors help. She knows everyone and knew who to sit with who.

As the gala date approached my neighborhood was excited. This is a black tie event and all the girls were out shopping for dresses and jewelry. I was happy because I found a great dress at TJ Maxx for the TJ Maxx price.

My Mom called on Wednesday concerned about what to wear. We decided to tackle the new Nordtroms. We found a darling dress and I bought a feather boa of some sort to wear in my hair. Seriously, it had feathers and leaves.

Saturday I had several friends who were dropping in so I could do their makeup. My poor mother shows up first with what resemble an old bee hive hair do. I just said “Its awful.” So I fixed her hair, did her make-up and followed with 3 more. It was great fun.

We started calling the gala the adult prom. Our men in tuxes and the girls all dolled up, we drove our mini-vans to the event. Arriving at the gala, I run into the woman who I assisted with the tables. We are wearing the exact same dress. My was purple and hers was teal, but it was the same. We just stared at each other. No more TJ Maxx for me.

After dinner a live auction was conducted where my husband became the life of the party. Up for bid was a chance to be Principal for the Day. My husband kept raising his paddle and eventually took home the prize. I won’t say how much he spent, but for Bryan it was a lot and very out of character. He then took over the dance floor with his disco moves. He had such a great time and I had a great time watching him.

The adult prom was a huge success and something we will look forward to every year. We have been blessed with great friends and a great school system. It does the heart good to give back to the community and its much more fun all dressed up with your man at your side and a feather in your hair!

1 comment:

Claire said...

Where's the picture of you dancing?
Claire