Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Women

***I must start this blog telling you that it is definitely PG-13, only in the medical sense. Men, I warned you!!


At some point in your life I'm sure you've been asked the question; "If you could of lived in any era of time, what would it of been?" I've thought about this question a lot and there is no doubt for me. I would of loved to live during the WWII era. I can see my self as the army nurse triaging the traumas as they arrived. I would of worn red lipstick, hats with veils, and gloves with buttons at the wrist.

I adore the way women dressed in the 40's. Feminine sophistication, with a slice of attitude so patriotic that they didn't mind getting down and dirty. Speaking of down and dirty, have you ever wondered how they managed with their "monthly curse"? During the 40's there was at least something to help them manage, but the poor pioneer woman. Can you even imagine?

Today I thought about women through the ages and how they dwelt with situations like childbirth without medication, lack of C-sections and demand breastfeeding regardless of if you wanted to or not. If there period was heavy than so be it. You couldn't fix it.

So lately I have been having "very" heavy periods. I have also been having shorter cycles, so A+B=LOUSY!!! Upon moving back to Cincinnati I decided to try a female OBGYN. I don't know why any woman would go to a man for an OBGYN. Women have smaller hands and fingers so they are better at surgery and exams, they are women so they actually understand the craziness that goes on with their sex, and they are mothers. Men should not be OBGYN's period!!

My dear female doctor thought that I may have a fibroid and wanted to rule that out before trying something else. We decided that if there was no fibroid than an IUD with local hormone regulation would be fabulous. This would mean having either a very light or no period at all. Since Bryan has been snipped and our baby days are over this seemed like an incredible option.

Ultrasounds have changed since I last had a baby. They now have a flat screen over your head so you can see everything without having to turn sideways. My ultra sound technician was very sweet and calming, but this was like no ultra sound I have ever had. After being violated by the x-ray "wand", she tells me to get dressed and the doctor would meet me. I had to get dressed again and walk down the hall to another room where I had to get naked again. They should of just given me a robe or something.

As I waited for the doctor with slimy goo in between my legs, I read my book for school. It was talking about the trends in nursing starting with Florence Nightingale in the 1860's. I stopped feeling sorry for myself. 1860's.....no pads, no tampons, no nothing.

My ultrasound was clear of fibroid and it was time to get the IUD inserted. After laughing with my doc about women's issues she says "where the hell is your cervix?" I guess my scoliotic body has reaped havoc on my female parts as well and my cervix is all Topsy-turvey. She finally found "it" and things were done that were not comfortable. The end result should be good. No more or very light periods.

I love how women take care of women. This physician genuinely cares about her patients. She admits when thing and situations suck and when they are just doing what God intended for our bodies to do.

So again today I admire women from all ages. Not just for their red lipstick and pretty hats, but for the way they have survived and evolved through the years. At times we may wonder about the "curse" passed down from Eve, but in all reality it's a blessing. Something we can all bond over and something we can share with our daughters. You may think I am a bit strange, but the female body is amazing. I just glad I live in 2009.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen! I've always been fascinated with the female body!