Monday, May 25, 2009

Chicago


About 2 weeks ago, while looking over the family calendar, I realized that Bryan had the entire Memorial Day weekend off. That has not happened in 8 years. He has always worked either the Saturday, Sunday or Monday which immobilized us for the holiday. My impulsive side kicked in and I started checking flights to D.C.; Bryan's conservative side fought back. Long story short we both decided on Chicago.

No family trip is without its trials and ours started with Clay complaining of a sore throat. Half way to our destination, we stopped for dinner and Clay awoke from a nap in tears and burning up. Like any good doctor and nurse we pumped him full of Motrin and hoped for the best.

We arrived in Chicago around 11:00 pm. Clay was warm, but seemed okay. Our family consist of 2 morning people, 1 night owl, and 1 over the top early 5:00amish early bird. Guess who that is?

Bryan rallied the troops for breakfast when we realized that Chicago is an hour behind us and most people don't eat as early as 6:00 am. Clay was sluggish and we were both concerned that this could ruin the trip.

The weather was absolutely beautiful and after another dose of Motrin Clay wanted to be the first person in line at Lego. We finished breakfast at looked for something to do till Lego opened at 10:00. Little did we know that Nordstroms was having their semi-annual sale and opened early. Grace and I were ecstatic and Bryan was not. I promised not to go crazy but asked him to leave Grace and I for a bit so we could shop without him leering behind us. He agreed and took Clay back to the hotel for another med dose.

There is nothing like good service and the girls at Nordstroms were awesome. I was looking for jeans and the sweet thing brought me like 20 pair. Grace sat with me and I agonized over how each pair fit. My phone starts ringing, its Bryan... but the signal is bad so we loose each other. Oh well, I kept debating as my sales lady gave me her expert advice.

Being a sale day the dressing rooms were quite busy and every room was full. People were buzzing around and I was having a good time even though I was trying to fit into jeans that were made for super models. My shopping buzz came to a halt when I heard a woman's voice say..."Is there an Angie in here?" There is a man outside searching for a woman named Angie.

I walk out with my new designer jeans and Bryan is pacing around the floor like an expectant Father. I explain that I am ready to go and just need to pay. Bryan was hovering, he wanted to hear how much I was spending and I was starting to sweat. My smart and wonderful sales lady rung up the jeans and just put out her hand for credit card. She swiped it so quickly and didn't announce the price. We were like kindred spirits. I tell you I need to send this to Nordstroms. I can't wait till they open up in Cincy.

The Lego store was a dream come true for Clay. He walked around the store talking to the 20 something Lego Clerks and it was like they were speaking a different language.

Later that day Grace and I took a Segway tour. Segways are those weird stand up riding toys. They are a lot harder than they look but after about 20 minutes you get used to it. We went on a 2.5hour tour of the city. It was a blast. I kept thinking of the movie WallE when the fat people are buzzing around in their pods. We zipped around the city on those things and probably didn't burn a calorie. Towards the end of the tour Grace and I started going faster and I actually got a bit cocky. Then we crossed a street, I hit a curb and ran straight into a metal garbage can and the Segway ran over my foot (in flip-flops) and kept ramming itself into the garbage can. I was trying not to cry from pain and embarrassment as Segway smashed me into the garbage can again and again. One of the guides rescued me and for the rest of the tour I watched, or shall I say babysat. Over all great experience, and I recommend it.

I know this post is long. Its for my memories. Feel no pressure to continue.

Bryan's friend Dr. Fitz (single Pediatrician, if anyone is looking) decided Clay had STREP and Bryan prescribed some anti-biotic. The next day Clay woke up with a rash over his body and we just knew he was allergic to the medicine. Bryan was a bit frantic because he wrote for the medicine. It ended up being a body rash due to the strep. All is well and Clay is feeling better.

The next day we headed to one of the museums and then took a taxi to China Town. It was a 10 minute or so drive. I am always on edge in taxis because I get car sick and when we were last in NYC I puked in one. This guy was horrible. He kept riding the break, speeding up, slowing down. So I started staring at him through the rear view mirror and realized he was falling asleep at the wheel (the slowing down), waking up suddenly (the speeding up part) and then falling asleep again. Seriously, he was falling asleep. We got out as soon as we could.

There were more fun moments like when Clay told us to be quite because the man on the street was sleeping. Clay hasn't experienced many homeless people. There was a sweet moment when a man asked for money and Bryan offered him our Chinese Food instead and he graciously accepted it. I will end with our new Swine Flu activist. Just check out the photo. It speaks for itself. Chicago was great and we defiantly did it Strader Style.

No comments: